Friday, November 8, 2013

Freedom Song- Gloria Steimen- RD

For this unit the class was assigned to write a poem about a famous person who tries to help end inequality by using Sarvodaya.  Sarvodaya means everyone and everything rising all together. In specific I chose Gloria Steimen, a feminist activist, writer and lecturer. She knew talking was not enough so she took action peacefully. The most challenging part of this project was having to see what women had to go through in order to get their voice heard. When I finished my poems I felt very proud of what I, and what other people can do to make Sarvodaya happen.
RD, Photography, Chicago Illinois, 2013


I am Gloria Steinem
Feminist activist, writer and lecturer
I am a warrior for womens rights and equality
I am a leader of myself
words are not enough for me
I take my time to take a stand for my sisters
I will not let society’s thoughts control me
My 12 organizations help find peace and direction
rather than covering women fashions I cover real issues
Ms. Magazine being an example of my courage and wisdom
passage of the Equal Rights Amendment
I was there
anything promoting equality between a man and a woman
I was there
because I cared
when women had no voice
I was there
and I still am.
My freedom song



I am RD
Although I am small, I have a big voice
thoughts building up in my head that are not being heard
people’s thoughts and shyness holding me back
but not for long
I’m tired of hiding
and being stepped on
I will be seen as someone important
my thoughts will turn into actions
they will get me to places I couldn't even imagine



No comments:

Post a Comment