Thursday, October 3, 2013

Letter Profile by RD

The purpose for this MDG's action project was to chose a indicator that focuses on the Millennium Development Goal. The indicator I chose was 3.2 which is Share of women in wage employment in the non-agricultural sector. I chose this indicator because I feel like that problem can affect me in the future. For this project I had to research another country that has a better or no wage gender gap in salaries then the U.S. This project opened my eyes to such an inequality that I didn't even know was an issue. It disappointed me, but at the same time made me think of ideas to help end this kind of inequality.
                                                                                                            RD's Salary graph. 2013






The Honorable Eleanor Holmes Norton 





2136 Rayburn House Office Building 


Washington, D.C. 20515. 


Dear Mrs. Norton 


I am RD and I attend Global Citizenship Experience High School in Chicago. I am writing to ask for your support to help end gender inequality in the United States workforce. I know that you worked with the Equal Employment opportunity commission (EEOC) and that is why i'm writing to you because I know you're one of the strongest people that could help me out. The wage gender gap in the U.S is very high. The difference of one chromosome can determine how much a person can get paid working in the same position. 

I did some research that would help me get a better understanding of what is going on in the United States'workforce. In specific I researched the wage gender gap in the teaching profession. In 2012 a male teacher made a weekly earning of $1,128.(bls.gov) Female teachers make a weekly earning of $921. (bls.gov) This is a difference of $207! When I saw the difference I was shocked and worried. There is a stereotype that most of the teachers in the U.S are female because of many natural unique skills a woman has, so why are female teachers getting payed less?


I chose Norway as a country to compare the weekly earnings as a teacher by gender. The weekly salary for a female teacher in Norway were much more closer to male teacher's salary in Norway. The more recent weekly earning I saw was in 2008. In that year male teachers made a weekly earning of $1262.25.(www.ssb.no) A female teacher made a weekly earning of $1262.(www.ssb.no) There really is no difference. 

In 2003 Norway became the first country in the world to pass a gender quota. The law stated that women must make up 40% of their workforce(The New York Times), since then the numbers have gone up. America needs to use Norway as an example.  I am very impressed at what Norway is doing to keep their workforce equal. Not only is Norway the best place for women to get close to equal pay, but it is considered to be one of the best places for people to live (USA today.com) Norwegian women are taking roles of some jobs that many U.S women would not even attempt to do. I still have hope that the U.S can change something about this huge inequality.   

The graph above represents all the data I collected representing the United States teacher salary and Norway’s teacher salary by gender. As you can see there really is no difference when it comes to the teacher salary in Norway by gender,which is a very good sign. One disappointing thing that caught my eye was that when you see the United States side of the graph the numbers look very far apart, which means that the wage gap is huge. 

I still have hope that the U.S can change something about this huge inequality. America needs to take action before the wage gap gets bigger. Since this issue is not very popular in the media, the U.S can hold many special groups to educate people about this unfair act. As a female I am worried. I do not want to grow up and have to deal with this unequal treatment. I would not want to move to Norway just to get the same pay as someone who has the same abilities I do. I decided The U.S needs more people like you who realize and see the unfair treatment women get in the workforce.

Thank you,

RD




  


"Labor Force Statistics from the Current Population Survey"bls.gov. N.P. Web. 5 Febuary 2013. 1 October 2013

"Norway is good for women". thejanedough.com. N.p. Simmons, Laura. Web. 13 June 2013. 1 October 2013.

Earnings in municipalities and county authorities.
ssb.no. N.p. Web. 1 October 2103.



Norway tops U.N. list of best place to live, while U.S. jumps from 13th to 4th. usatoday.com. Stanglin, Douglas. Web. 5 November 2010. 1 October 2013.







No comments:

Post a Comment