Friday, September 20, 2013

My Water Usage VS. Australia's Water Usage.

The purpose of this H2O project was to compare my daily water usage to Australia's daily water usage. In order to compare both, I had to record the number of gallons I use and research the number of gallons Australia uses. I thought it was very interesting finding out my own water usage because I never had a reason to do so before this project. I also had to find the closest water source to me and figure out how long it would take to carry my total amount of gallons (85)back to my house. This project taught me how hard people have to work in order to get clean water to drink and  how water is not always available to everyone.


RD SAVE H2O MATES.(2013)
On my poster the first thing I have is the title of my action project, which is “Save H20 mates”. I chose that title because I am comparing my daily water usage to Australia’s daily water usage. I divided up my poster into four categories. The first one shows my total daily water usage in gallons (85) and in a graph as percentages. The second box shows how many gallons Australia uses per capita (132) and its percents also. The third box shows the closest water source, which is the Chicago River(3.78 miles away) and how long it would take me to carry 85 gallons. According to my calculations it would take me about 170 hours to carry 85 gallons for 170 miles. The last box shows the differences between my water usage and Australia’s water usage.


There are many ways we can all save water and some of those ways are very easy. Since doing this project, I learned that I have been wasting unnecessary water. One easy step that I try to do every day, is trying to take a shorter shower. For me, Hygiene was the one thing that I kept wasting water on. Another way I can help lower the number of gallons I use for Hygiene is to turn off the water while i’m brushing my teeth. That would help save up to 10 gallons of water that i'm not even using.
I found out many interesting things about water usage around the world and Australia in particular during this project. One thing that I found really interesting was that I thought most of the water consumption in Australia would be for Yard work/ Agriculture purposes but it came out that the most water used was for Hygiene which was 54 gallons. I think they use that much water in Hygiene because they aren't as conscious about the water they use. I did not know much about water usage around the world before this project, but now that I do I will definitely be more responsible about the water I use.

No comments:

Post a Comment