Friday, November 15, 2013

Letter to Alderman


For this action project in Global Peace the class was assigned to write a letter addressing an issue that is going on in my neighborhood and relating it to a term we discussed in the second unit called Swadeshi, which is discussing the local economy. I went on to realize how much my community lacks in having local businesses. 

Alderman John Arena

45th Ward Service Office
4754 N. Milwaukee Avenue
Chicago, IL 60630
November 14, 2013

Dear Alderman Arena ,

I am RD, a 14 year student who attends Global Citizenship Experience (GCE) high school in the Lincoln Park area. I am writing to you because I am taking a course in school called Global Peace. In this second Unit the class is discussing the word Swadeshi, which means me as in myself and place, as in location. For this project the class was assigned to discuss an issue that was going on in our neighborhood, which in my case is the Portage Park/ Jefferson Park area. An issue that I saw was the lack of local businesses going on in those areas.

The Portage Park/ Jefferson Park area is beautiful, but not many people get to notice that because of the lack of attractions and businesses. On my way to school I see huge businesses and restaurants that attract many people to the Lincoln Park area, and I don't see that kind of attraction at all in my community. There are many empty business buildings that are occupying so much space in our area. That not only takes up useless space, but it also makes the neighborhood look unsafe and bad.

The lack of businesses brings down the local economy very much. We are not selling any goods that benefit any business or our neighborhood. That also hurts the connection we have as a community.

I have many ideas that I would like to turn into actions with your help. There are many empty business buildings in 6 Corners. Many of those can be turned into bigger businesses or local businesses. I went to Andersonville to view all the local businesses that are established in that neighborhood and I was impressed at how they all connected. The community felt united because of all those local businesses. I would definitely like to see that going on more in the Portage Park/ Jefferson Park area. The Portage Park/ Jefferson Park Chamber of commerce can help support new local businesses like the one in Andersonville. I as a resident take this as an important issue because I want my neighborhood to look attractive and fun.

If this problem is solved the whole neighborhood would rise up. I’m using the example of Savordaya, which means everything and everyone rising up together, a term we used in the first Unit of the Global Peace course. We would see an excellent change in the local economy with all the income these local stores deserve in our neighborhood. I hope my letter inspires you to help me take action against this issue.

Sincerly ,

RD


No comments:

Post a Comment