Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Starry Messenger

In the second unit of the Forbidden Books class, which was called Dogma, the class went over the definition of the word Dogma, which means a very strong belief. We also went over many readings from different religions and went over their Dogmas. We read a part of the Quran and then had the chance to explore a Mosque for the first time, which was super interesting.  For the action project, the class was assigned to create a slideshow presentation about a country that was under censorship by government or group and look at what exactly was banned or censored and why. I decided to look deeper into the trial of Galileo Galilea in Rome, Italy. He was convicted of heresy by the Roman Inquisition, and was then banned to write, and had to live under house arrest for the rest of his life. This was a huge case going along with Religion VS. Science, as well as censorship. While researching I found out a lot that was done by the Roman Inquisition to other people, and they were brutal. For example, I also learned about Giordano Bruno, who was burned, simply because he had different views from the church. People didn't have much freedom when it came to what they want to write about, or what their beliefs were. I'm glad I chose to research Galileo, because now I have information on what he believed and why he was punished for believing that. I hope you enjoy my slideshow presentation below to learn more about Galileo and his trial.

No comments:

Post a Comment