Thursday, January 16, 2014

I believe in....

For the first action project in the Humanities class, Who am I?, we were assigned to create  a podcast about something we believe in.The first unit was about truth, which makes us think about the different definitions of truth, and the different beliefs people consider the truth.   I chose to write about Humor.The most challenging part about this project was having to write an essay, that is as powerful as my belief. Throughout the project I learned how to record my voice and create a podcast, something that I have never done before. I am proud of myself because I learned how to record my voice and use it to translate my beliefs. 
Keiner, C.M. "Good sense of humor". Flicker. Yahoo.!  21 June. 2011. web. 17 January 2014.


Elbert Hubbard said “Don’t take life too seriously, no one makes it out alive anyway.” I live by that quote because my sense of humor has saved me from feeling uncomfortable in a room or feeling unsure.  

I believe in humor. I believe that having a good sense of humor and not taking things too seriously can really help you connect to people, and to also live a happier life. While on my adventure on learning how to embrace my sense of humor, I noticed that I laughed a lot more, and I was more open in embracing the sound of laughter. Laughter has the power to fill up a room with positive energy and ends up bringing more people together. When a group of people laugh together they realize that they share more than just a sense of humor.

I learned the importance and  power of humor when I was in 7th grade. I am a very shy person, so it is very difficult for me to connect to people and become comfortable with them. I was assigned to sit in a table where I knew no one and hadn't made a connection with any one there. We were told to write about an issue that we would like to change at the school. I thought of an issue that I didn't realize anybody else noticed was taking place. So, I shared my thought in a joking way and was secretly cracking up in my head. I was sitting down and felt sort of embarrassed because no one laughed. A few seconds later the girl sitting next to me  started cracking up. I was amazed that someone else understood me and I was grateful to share that moment. We clearly saw the connection right away. That girl is now my best friend. This experience has taught me that I can use my natural abilities, my humor to open new doors for me and make connections.

 
My sense of humor didn't just magically appear, I've always had it.Through my experiences, I have learned that I can use my humor as a superpower.  I learned that I can use that superpower to make me feel more comfortable in a room of new people. As I was using humor to connect to people, it has also taught me to be more joyful. Before I used think that the sound of laughter and the sight of joy from people were  annoying, but I now know that those were the people who were really having fun in life.

I have always been drawn to people with a sense of humor, because they tend to have a  warmer and more attractive personality. A single smile or laugh can brighten up my day, and I hope other people’s day too.  I believe it is true when they say “Laughter is the best medicine”.

No comments:

Post a Comment