Monday, September 29, 2014

Ecuador: Sigue No Mas

I went on a 24 day adventure to Ecuador, where I was able to enjoy the bustling cities, along with the mountains and rain forest surrounding. But to me the adventure didn't begin until the 2nd day there. I remember waking up on July 24, 2014 ready for a 6 hour journey from Ecuador's capital Quito, to a small village called Sachapamba De San Fransisco. I can still  perfectly remember the majestic mountains that I admired from the bus's window, the twisty, thrilling roads that our bus encountered, the salsa music that made everyone want to get up and dance, and the chatter going on as everyone was getting to know each other. Although we were all tired, once we got to our destination we were all pretty excited. I remember being mesmerized by the gorgeous view that can't compare to any other view I have ever seen. Along with being excited, I was also very nervous. I have never been away from home, or done community service in another country. The plan was to build a kiosk for the locals, where they can buy goodies while watching soccer games, a bathroom, bleacher steps, and teach children some English. I was ready to work hard for the next 9 days.  It wasn't easy at first. I remember having to carry heavy bricks, pushing wheel barrels, and the toughest of all, mixing cement. But it still was one of the best parts of this trip, because while working on all those projects, along with my group members, I developed many new connections. I learned the importance of teamwork and friendship.We were all there to motivate and push each other when we thought we couldn't go any further. Along with the connections that I made with my group members, I also connected to the children who lived in the village. Every day after work, they would show up with their smiles and amazing sense of humor. We would play soccer, teach them some English words, share many laughs, and there were days where we would just sit and gaze at the mountains that surrounded us. On our last day of being on the work site, as a way of appretiation and gratitude the community threw a small party where we played many games, danced along to some live music, and just enjoyed each other's company. On the 10th day we hopped back on the bus where we made our way to the indigenous town of Otavalo. There we visited the markets, filled with many foreign clothes, souvenirs, and Ecuadorian goodies. After a day spent there we made our way to a city in the Amazon Rain Forest called Tena. The first day consisted of white water rafting in the Amazon. I will never forget the beautiful experience I had while rafting in the hidden rivers of the Amazon while a thunderstorm was going on. The sound of the thunder gave me a calm feeling, and the view of the lightning gave me chills. The next day was was full of challenges and mud. The group and I went deep into the Amazon Rain Forest, with a 3 hour long hike. We were surrounded by many exotic plants, and flowers, waterfalls and the chirping of many birds brought music to our ears. When those days were over we headed out to the Galapagos,with our home base being the lovely Island of Isabela. With the beach just minutes away, we were able to enjoy snorkeling and being able to swim with sea lions and turtles, surfing the waves that the ocean brings to us, and just chill in the sand. We also had the chance to explore a volcano, and visit the giant Tortoises of the Galapagos. I am extremely proud of myself for having the courage to attend a trip like this. While doing all these activities and work, I stepped out of my comfort zone. It was pretty scary for me at first, but once I stepped out of that bubble that I'm so used to being in, I felt so good. One thing that I will remember from one of the group leaders, was him telling us to live in the moment, and to stop letting fear hold us back on  doing things that we want to do. Telling myself those words throughout the trip really helped me have the best time I have ever had. I even use those words now to encourage myself. Summer 2014 was a summer full of adventure, challenges, deep connections, and self discovery. Definitely a summer I won't be able to forget.


No comments:

Post a Comment