Thursday, March 17, 2016

Temp°clock!

For the second STEAM course of my junior year, I'm taking a class called Light, Sound and Time. This course is giving me a chance to explore and learn how to see, hear and measure time. The third unit was focused on time and going over questions like why do we measure time? How are different times measured in different cultures? And who says you need to buy a clock? For the action project, we were asked to design our own time telling device, explaining its prinicpals in a video. We also were asked to connect the math concepts that we learned in class, like, pi, longitude, pythagorean therom, etc, to our project. I decided to come up with a clock that tells time by calculating the temperature. To include the math and science concept, I explained the cool way longitude relates to it. It was a bit challenging at first when it came to brainstorming ideas, because when I would think of something, I'd find out that my idea is already invented. At the end though, I was content with what I came up with. I hope you enjoy watching my animation!


To explain the math part more, my device gives you the amount of minutes and seconds that it would take for you to get to a certain destination, but not the hours. So if it's past an hour, it'll just give you the longitude point instead. Like in my video, it gave you 15°, so now my device calculates that into an hour, since 15 divided by 15 equals 1. The 56 and 6 just equal the amount of minutes and seconds. I also want to explain the quote more. According to my research, I learned that merkhet can also be known as "instrument of knowing". That quote relates to my device because not only are you able to know the time but also the temperature and longitude.




Citations:

"Ancient Egyptian Astronomy - Facts & History from Astronomy-Kids.com." Ancient Egyptian Astronomy - Facts & History from Astronomy-Kids.com. N.p., 2010. Web. 21 Mar. 2016

 McMahon, Mary, and Bronwyn Harris. WiseGeek. What is a merkhet?,n.d. Web. 21 Mar. 2016. 

"Sirius Is Dog Star and Brightest Star | EarthSky.org." EarthSky. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 Mar. 2016. 

Carpenter, Frank G. (Frank George), 1855-1924, Photographer.Egypt. Village and pyramids during the flood-time. ca. 189

Sirius , the brightest star in the sky. nd. Wikicommens.

No comments:

Post a Comment