Sunday, February 23, 2014

Save Earth's Beauty.

In unit 3 of  the Fuel class, which is called Pollution, the class was assigned to write and calculate how pollution harms Earth, using our own data from a website. This was the first time I have ever calculated my own carbon footprint and seen how they affect the Earth. And I was extremely surprised. The most difficult part of this project was the math. I had a difficult time understanding how to calculate and come up with numbers that reflected the negative impact of my actions on the Earth. In order to overcome my mathematical struggle I had to practice the calculations many times. Although I had a hard time with that part of the project, I am proud at how I handled it.I am also proud of the specific actions I outlined in my essay, because even though I understand the harm that pollution causes, I also know how I can change my own lifestyle to help diminish the damage done to our beautiful Planet Earth. The Pollution unit was a very eye-opening experience. I never realized how just one person can contribute to the injustices doings done to the Earth. Thanks to this action project, I am now considering making changes in my lifestyle, in order to see more of nature’s beauty grow.  



Pollution is something that affects us all. Pollution is caused by both human and natural actions. Pollution caused by natural actions might include volcanic eruptions, forest fires, wind erosion, and pollen dispersal. Even though pollution can come from natural actions, it does not happen often. We even contribute to the poisons that kill nature’s beauty. Many people today use transportation, because it is  a key part of our lives. Buses, cars, trains, trucks, and airplanes all burn a lot of fossil fuels in order to work. The emissions given off from those sources come from both primary and secondary pollutants, both of which are  very difficult to manage.  In order for this injustice to be resolved or even approached, we must step up and develop solutions to help stop it.

Carbon dioxide is one pollutant that is causing most of the harm towards the earth. According to the calculations on my “Footprint calculator,” I release about 16.2 tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. Most of my carbon emissions are from my services (49%), which is half, while the other half consists of my food, shelter, mobility and goods. My lifestyle requires 4 Planet Earths to provide all my resources. It is also equal to 17.9 acres of Earth’s productive area. (“Clean Energy:Greenhouse Gas Equivalencies calculator”)

The numbers above provide a general perspective on the emissions that I give off annually  while living. If I were to continue living this way, I would give off the same greenhouse gas emissions as 1,648 gallons of gas consumed. My calculations really surprised me, because I know how harmful emissions are, and the extent of damage that greenhouse gases can cause our planet. Another fact I learned was that I also give off the same emissions as 612 propane cylinders used for home barbeques. I did a project earlier in this term about propane, and I know how harmful it can sometimes be. For example, even if you breath only a little amount of propane that is not ignited, you can get hypoxia, which is oxygen deprivation (ehow.com). So, it is reasonable to assume that releasing CO2 from 612 propane cylinders is not a good idea!

I want to step in and make a change to help stop all the pollution that is happening, but in order to do that, I must be willing to change. Some of the changes that I am considering making include:

  • Purchasing products that use less packaging or are made out of 100% post-consumer recycled content material. I pledge to recycle more by buying products that require less packaging. If I were to produce less waste, my footprint reduces by .2 Planet Earths, requiring 3.8 Planet Earths instead of 4.
  • Reducing the amount of meat I eat by half.  I usually eat dairy, chicken, pork and beef. By changing my usual diet, and reducing the amount of meat I eat by half, it would reduce the amount of carbon emissions that I give off.  Livestock release greenhouse gases, so by eating less meat, I can reduce the amount of carbon emission I give off. Eating less meat will reduce my carbon emissions from 16.2 tons to 15. 6 tons of carbon. The amount of Earths will be reduced by 0.3, which means only 3.7 Planet Earths are required, instead of 4.
  • Taking a local vacation instead of flying. Even though staying local does not change or reduce the amount of planets in my footprint, it reduces the amount of carbon, going from 16.2 tons to 15.7 tons.

RD. Better actions. Photography. 2014
Trees are also known to reduce the amount of carbon emissions. Scientists know that when 1 urban tree is planted, it can remove 0.039 metric tons of carbon from the air.  I already know that I produce 16.2 tons of carbon annually. If I were to calculate the number of trees needed to remove all my carbon, I would come up with 377 trees based on the following formula:

16.2 metric tons (1 tree/0.039 metric tons) = 16.2/0.039 = 377 trees

Taking all the actions above, I only require 3.4 planet earths to support my lifestyle now. Those actions would also reduce my carbon footprint from 16.2 to 14 tons of carbon. That would be 2.4 less tons of carbon let into the air. Going from 4.0 planet earths to 3.4 Planet Earths, it would reduce my footprint by 0.6. Considering all the changes I mentioned above, now I would only have to plant 326 trees to help reduce the amount of carbon let into the atmosphere. I am glad to know that I would be saving  51 trees.

Works Cited:

“Carbon Dioxide emissions”. epa.gov. np. 2014. web. 17 Feb. 2014

“Footprint calculator.” Global Footprint Network. Sept. 2011. web. 14 Feb. 2014.

“What is air pollution?” about.com. West, Larry. nd. web. 17 Feb. 2014.

“Why is EPA moving to limit industrial carbon pollutants?” nrdc.org .np. 2012. web. 17 Feb. 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment