Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Walter's downfall.

In the last Humanities class of my Sophomore year, Drama, we studied different plays that starred a strong female lead. In the last unit which was called Matriarch, we read the play, A Raisin in the Sun , a play written by Lorraine Hansberry. While reading this play, the class was assigned to look deeper into issues of  class and race during the 1940s. We also had to look  into and discover who the matriarch was in the book. The word matriarch refers to a women of motherly love, but who also has the most power in the house or family. It was interesting to see how much power a woman really had in her house, when there wasn't really anyone else to turn to. For the final action project, we were challenged to create a modern chorus about one character's glory, downfall and consequence. I decided to focus on Walter. Walter was an interesting character because you could tell that he wants to be the head of the house and be the main supporter so bad, but he just doesn't have enough power to do that. At first I had a hard time picking a character because in the book, they all seem to have a glory, downfall and consequence, but after thinking about it, I thought Walter was the best way to go. I've never seen a chorus written out like the way we were assigned to do, so that gave me a hard time. Once I saw the correct way on how to format it though, things got way smoother. Through this unit, I learned what the word matriarch means along with understanding how life was like for an African-American family who just wanted to get out of their problems, but who were also breaking the rules of society to get over one problem. I also learned how to correctly write a chorus. I hope you enjoy it below!

No comments:

Post a Comment