Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Women can be groovy too.

In the last Humanities class of my Sophomore year, Drama, we are going over the roles that women had to play in society throughout the years. In the second unit which was called Doll, we went over A doll's house by Henrick Ibsen. While reading this play, we were assigned to look carefully at the character of Nora to see how women were portryaed at that time. It was interesting to see how controlling some men were, and how obediant some women were towards their husbands during those times. For the first action project, the class was assigned to create a dramatic dialogue including ourself as a character, Nora and one historical strong woman. In the drama, we had to include the guiding question, should men and women have different roles in society? The one historical figure that I decided to choose was Kali. She was a hindu goddess who was known to swallow up negative thoughts and even people. She also had no time to deal with people who had huge egos. That being said, I thought she would be a perfect person to talk to Nora. This was a challenging project because there were many other historical women who would've also been great to pair up with Nora, but I think I made a good choice in picking Kali. It was also difficult to actually write out a script in the correct form, but with some practice it became easier. Thanks to this project, I now know what it is like to write a drama, and thanks to this unit I understand how much pressure was put on a woman when it came to following her husband's rules. I hope you enjoy my script below!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment